Here my list of most annoying bugs of Mountain Lion (OS and its apps)
of course, my personal view, and the list is incomplete – there are so much more.
Please Apple, return to your old slogan: “It just works.”
It’s about time to do something…
OS X Mountain Lion bugs
- in iCal: when creating new entry in default calendar, cannot switch this new entry to a shared calendar even if I have write privilege for that shared calendar. Contrary, when I first select the external shared calendar in the sidebar (which returned in Mountain Lion) then I can create an entry in that calendar.
- in Contacts/Mail: I can create „intelligent“ groups, and I can create groups that consist of logical connections of other groups like „all from group friends and all of group family“ or „all of group family but not from group kids“. But I cannot use such a logical group in Mail: the address field snaps to empty after the list should have expanded…
- Finder: user interface in Finder for file sharing is inconsistent and hard to use. Worse, every so often it does not connect, or takes a long time to connect, for no obvious reason.
- Finder: AirDrop. Very nice in principal. But impossible to use without using an extra window, and temporary files/folders (drag-n-drop-with-folder-spring-open does not work with AirDrop, standard Save-As… or Export… does not work into AirDrop). Why can’t this be as easy as DropBox?
- Finder: settings and menu „Darstellung“ („View“?) are a mess. Some options concerning display of file objects are found here, some there, with no rational order whatsoever.
- Dashboard: Dashboard mixes up if another application’s window opens shortly after Dashboard has become visible
- Mission Control: Mission Control and Dashboard often mess up the screen with some surprising results, when using some gestures rapidly
- Notification Center: can become unusable stuck when shift-in or shift-out (from the right screen border) happens to get interrupted. Only fix seems to be logging out – logging in.
- iCal: Alarm/Notification handling settings are settable but ignored for shared (imported) calendars. Also on iOS devices.
- TimeMachine: since latest updates, often TC is running but the little animation in the menu bar does not rotate and the status menu entry of that menu sticks at “Searching for Backup Volume…” while in fact TC is already running.